Urjakiran is an Energy Conservation Awareness Campaign (ECAC) initiated by the state-designated agency- Energy Management Centre (EMC) in the year 2015. The objective of Urjakiran is to create awareness among the general public and equip them for efficient management of all forms of energy, to promote energy efficiency and energy conservation and to develop new sources of energy as well as novel energy technologies with a view to increasing the production and facilitating the use of energy on a sustainable basis. Our college has been selected as one of the participating agencies of this venture to convene, catalyze and facilitate works in the energy conservation-related activities from 2015 onwards.
As part of Urjakiran, we conducted various activities fostering the conservation of energy for the last three consecutive years, 2015-16, 16-17 and 17-18. A summary of the activities conducted so far is enlisted below:
- In collaboration with Bhoomitra Sena Club, Department of Physics arranged an awareness programme for the public on “Energy conservation via LED bulbs” on 14th January 2016. Classes were conducted by Mr. Eloor Gopinath (Resource person, Energy Management Centre and Jael George (III DC Physics) and her team. Workshop on “LED assembling –How to make an LED Bulb “by II DC students was also a part of the programme.
- Conducted a workshop on LED bulbs and various energy conservation tools at Mattathil Govt. High School, Arookutti by I PG students of the Department of Physics. They have taught school students and PTA members how to assemble LED bulbs.
- Organised a class on “Electrical Energy saving” for B.Sc students on 4th February 2016. The class was taken by Sri C S Sunil, Asst Executive Engineer, KSEB.
- National Energy conservation day was celebrated and an awareness rally was conducted on 14th 2016 in collaboration with CED and EMC. The rally was flagged off by the Councillor Sudha Dileepkumar. C S Sunil, KSEB Asst. engineer, the chief guest of the programme, gave a keynote address.
- First Post sanctioned workshop – Awareness programme of Urjakiran was organized by the department on 19th Dec 2016. Technical Session were taken by Dr. T Sabu, Programme Director, CED, Sri A Rajagopalan Achari, EMC and Sri. Muhammed Jishad T K, Project Engineer, EMC. Mayor Soumini Jain inaugurated the programme. About 70 participants including members of various NGOs and college professors attended the programme.
- A workshop on LED Assembling and energy conservation was organized in association with Sakthi, NGO on 14th February 2017 at YMCA Hall, Kothad.
- An energy conservation awareness campaign and Workshop on LED assembling were organized by Department of Physics, St. Teresa’s College, Ernakulam at St. Augustine’s Church, Moolamppilly.
- An energy conservation awareness campaign and Workshop on LED assembling were organized by Department of Physics, St. Teresa’s College, Ernakulam at St. Peter’s School, Vaduthala for PTA members.
- National Energy conservation day was celebrated and an awareness rally was conducted on 14th Dec 2017 in collaboration with CED and EMC. The rally was flagged off by the Councillor Sudha Dileepkumar. A street play was conducted for the school students from various part of verapoly archdiocese as part of promoting awareness on energy conservation at gym plaza.
- Organized an energy conservation awareness campaign at Surya Kudumbasree Unit, Maradu. The class was followed by a workshop on assembling paper bags and CD craft work.
- An energy conservation awareness campaign by Sri. Sreekumar Nedumbassery (General secretary, Urjakiran Ernakulam) and a flashmob on Energy conservation were organized by Department of Physics, St. Teresa’s College, Ernakulam on 3rd March 2018 at Sacred Heart Girls High School auditorium, Karthedom.
- An awareness programme on ANERT activities by Sri A N Santhosh was conducted at Vennala Cooperative Bank.