Established in 1957, the Department of Botany is a full-fledged Department conducting Graduate and Post graduate courses and Research programme. Department of Botany envisions providing platform for academicians to interact on key issues.
Department of Botany at a glance
- Oldest PG & Research Department of the college which has produced the first Doctoral Degree in Botany(Ph. D) of M. G. University
- 23 Scholars have been awarded Ph. D till date
- Eleven ongoing Ph. D Programmes
- Undertaking R & D Projects
- Conducted international, national and state level seminars and workshops
- Started UGC sponsored Career Oriented Programme in Plant Resource Development and Management in 2010
- Started UGC sponsored Coaching Centre for UGC/CSIR/ JRF/NET Examination in Life Science in 2010
- Student progression – 80% is going for higher studies & 40 % is getting placements
- Field visits and Study Tours are Conducted regularly for UG and PG students
1. B. Sc. Botany (CBCSS) Programme
The Department started in 1957 with Graduate Course in Botany.The Open Course for B. Sc. (CBCSS) programme is Horticulture and Nursery Management. The choice based core course is Phytochemistry and Pharmacognosy
2. M. Sc. Botany (PG CSS) Programme
The Post-Graduate Course in the Department began in the year 1966. The specialization of PG programme is Microbiology.
3. Ph. D Programme
Department has been upgraded as Research Centre of the Mahatma Gandhi University in 1985. The centre has produced 22 Ph. D degrees till date and eleven programmes are on-going.
Research Guides in Botany:
- Dr.Sr. Avita
- Dr. Merlee Teresa M.V. (Dr. Sr. Margaret Mary)
- Dr. SreeKumar R.
- Dr.Lizzy Mathew
- Dr. Sheela D.
- Dr.Elsam Joseph
4. M.Phil. Programme in Botany
The M.Phil. Programme in Botany started on 05-09-2017.
The Master of Philosophy (M.Phil.) in Botany is a semester based one year programme designed for academicians and researchers to provide theoretical and practical research exposure in Botany. The programme empowers the researchers with domain specific capabilities and methodological competencies.