Sixty years of merit and excellence have rolled by in the history of the Physics Department, which was started in 1959. Recognized as Post Graduate Department in 1999, the department was upgraded to the Research Centre status by 2008. Another feather was added to its credit with the introduction of M.Phil. programme under Autonomy. Right from its inception ‘Work is Worship’ has been the unwritten motto of the department, handed over from generation to generation.
The staff members of the academic and non- academic cadre have always been the stronghold of the department, who have played key roles in its outstanding performance in various fields of activity, especially in the realm of academics. Over the years the students of Physics Department have been offered high quality education, with special personal care extended to the socially and economically weaker strata of the society.