MSc Botany will mold and equip students for the present educational scenario. The main objective of this programme is to encourage students to do all the responsibilities in order to develop themselves during the studies in our institution. This phase of their educational life not only enhances their personality but also helps them to reflect on the broader spectrum of education. Students completing the MSc Botany will reflect the following graduate attributes.
1. Clear, comprehensive and advanced mastery in the field of Botany.
2. Understand the advanced areas of biological sciences with special reference to Botany and its applied branches.
3. Skill in practical work, experiments, use of biological tool and techniques
4. Expertise in statistical analyses of data for better interpretations and problem-solving.
5. Confidence to apply the acquired knowledge in practical life so as to make our country self-reliant.
6. Ability to suggest innovative programs to care for nature and life for sustainable development.
7. Awareness to explore the intricacies of life forms at the cellular, molecular and nano level.
8. Motivation and enthusiasm to appreciate the beauty of different life forms.
9. Inspiration to disseminate the concept of biodiversity conservation.
10. Problem-solving skills in students to carry out innovative research projects thereby enkindling in them the spirit of knowledge creation.
11. Proficiency in the use of recent and advanced biological technologies
12. Ability to appreciate and practice ethical principles in research and studies in the field of biological science
OBJECTIVES OF THE MSC BOTANY PROGRAMME
MSc Botany program is designed with an objective to encourage and support the growing demands and challenging trends in the educational scenario. Our training focuses on the all-round development of the students to face the competitive World. Let’s now look at the objectives of the program:
- Understand the scope and significance of the discipline.
- Imbibe love and curiosity towards nature through the living plants.
- To consider knowledge of Science as the basic unbias of education.
- In order to make students open-minded and curious, we try our best to enhance and develop a scientific attitude.
- We make the students fit for the society by enabling them to work hard.
- Make the students exposed to the diverse life forms.
- Make them skilled in practical work, experiments, laboratory equipment and to interpret correctly on biological materials and data.
- Develop interest in Biological research.
- Encourage the students to do research in related disciplines.
- Develop a thirst to preserve the natural resources and environment.
- Develop the ability for the application of acquired knowledge in various fields of life so as to make our country self-sufficient
- Appreciate and apply ethical principles to biological science research and studies
STRUCTURE OF MSC BOTANY PROGRAMME
The MSc Botany Programme includes two types of courses, Programme Core courses (Theory and Practical) and Programme Elective Courses (Theory and Practical). There shall be a Programmme Project with a dissertation to be undertaken by all students. The Programme also includes test papers, assignments, seminars, and Viva-voce.
1. The project needs to be completed by working across the regular teaching hours and under the supervision of the faculty department. Students may also be allowed to do their project work in a research or industrial organization on the recommendation.
2. There should be a sessional assessment and final assessment for the project work. The final evaluation of the Project work is based on submission of the dissertation, presentation of work and Viva-voice.
3. Every student shall submit one assignment as a component for every course. The Topic for the assignment shall be allotted within the first month of instruction.
4. Every student shall deliver one seminar lecture as a component for every course. Seminar presentation is conducted to train students to do self-study by collecting the information regarding the topic from books, internet resources etc.
5. Two test papers will be conducted and the average score will be taken for awarding the marks.
6. The attendance of students for each course shall be another component of assessment.
7. No course shall have more than 4 credits.
8. Comprehensive Viva-voce shall be conducted at the end semester of the program. It covers questions from all courses in the programme.
Paper I: Microbiology and Phycology
Paper II: Mycology and Crop Pathology
Paper III: Bryology and Pteridology
Paper IV: Environmental Biology
Practical 1-Microbiology, Cryptogamic Botany, and Environmental Biology
Paper V: Gymnosperms and Evolution
Paper VI: Cell and Molecular Biology
Paper VII: Research Methodology, Instrumentation in Biosciences and in horticulture Techniques
Paper VIII: Genetics and Plant Breeding
Practical 2- Gymnosperms, Evolution, Cell Biology, Research Methodology,
Genetics & Plant Breeding.
Paper IX- Plant anatomy, Microtechnique, Embryology.
Paper X – Plant Physiology, Biochemistry.
Paper XI Taxonomy of Angiosperms
Paper XII- Biotechnology and Bioinformatics.
Practical Paper 3- Plant Anatomy, Microtechnique, Embryology, Plant Physiology, Biochemistry, Taxonomy and Biotechnology
Paper Elective- Microbiology
PE 1-Food, Agricultural and Environmental Microbiology.
PE 2- Clinical Microbiology.
PE 3- Industrial microbiology.
Practical course 4- Practicals of Paper Elective-