On 8th of March, 2021, Department of Psychology celebrated Women’s Day program in association with the Jenika Charity Foundation which focused on validating and spreading the spirit of womanhood.
100 participants including lawyers, students and working professionals joined the program at 7.30 pm on Google Meet platform. The program was conducted in two sessions,
- Inauguration of “Saree Resale for Rehabilitation”- an initiative of the Jenika Youth Wing members to collect undamaged sarees and resale them for supporting the rehabilitation of Child Sexual Abuse victims and Domestic Violence victims,
- “Unveiling the Untold Stories of Womanhood-A Real Talk” – talk with the victims of domestic abusesand other eminent personalities on how they survived their battles and odds to celebrate womanhood unapologetically.
The Chief Guest of the program was Smt. Deepa M. S, District Women Protection Officer, Ernakulam, who inaugurated the Saree Resale for Rehabilitation by donating a saree and expressed support for the new initiative.
Other speakers of the program included
- Ms. Molly Kuruvila, Founder Director, Department of Women Studies, University of Calicut,
- Ms. Jisha Sekhar, Assistant Professor, Department of Psychology, St. Teresa’s College,
- Ms. Rani Mariya, Law Student, Govt. College of Law, Trissur and Jenika Youth Wing Member
They shared their inspiring stories of surviving odds to become successful professionals. The Program also witnessed the stories of the survivors of Child Sexual Abuse and Domestic Violence who spoke about their traumatic experiences which opened eyes about how women are targeted, abused and objectified in a society were literate individuals speak about sexism and gender equality.
The talk was followed by a discussion during which Asst. Prof, Bindu John, Head of the Department of Psychology, St. Teresa’s College, and Anjali S, 3rd year B.Sc. student of Psychology, St. Teresa’s College and Jenika Youth Wing Member expressed their views and opinions about womanhood and the importance of celebrating Women’s Day.
President of Jenika Charity Foundation Adv. Teena Cherian concluded the Real Talk with a message about womanhood.