St. Teresa’s college was established in 1925 by the Carmelite Sisters of St. Teresa under the leadership of Mother Teresa of St. Rose of Lima. Our founder was a farsighted educationist and visionary who believed that the education of women was vital for social transformation.
Sr. Teresa of St. Rose of Lima came to Kochi in 1887. Formed in the spirituality of Carmelite Reformer St. Teresa of Avila, Sr. Teresa was imbued with wisdom, a zealous missionary spirit, a holy courage and large heartedness and she came in response to the Carmelite Arch Bishop of Verapoly Dr. Leonard Mellono’s request to start the First School for girls in the State and to found a congregation of religious sisters.
The congregation which she founded along with their apostolic services was placed under the patronage of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel and St. Teresa. The school which she started on 8 May 1887, with 31 pupils, formed the seed out of which was to blossom forth in due time, St. Teresa’s College.